Former Indian President and renowned scientist Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam visited Jaffna Hindu College today (23.01.2012). He arrived at the prayer hall around 3.10PM and unveiled a plaque to mark the day of his visit to the college. The prayer hall had the portraits of Vivekanandha Swamikal who visited the college in the 19th century and Mahathma Gandhiji in the 20th century. In addition, the portrait of Hon. Adbul Kalam also now decorates the walls of the prayer hall.
The Principal honoured Dr,Kalam by presenting a memento and draping him with shawl. Similarly, on behalf of the old boys, Mr. Kailasappillai and Mr. Neelakandan did the honour.
Dr.Kalam also participated in an hour long discussion with students and teachers, and that was very interactive and valuable for the student community. He first remembered the forefathers of the college and his wishes for the college and its community. He said the college has rotated the sun for over 121 times and produced many stars. He then shared with the students the secrets of success, he asked the students to join with him and recite a inspirational poem called “வாழ்வில் நான் பறந்து கொண்டேயிருப்பேன்” meaning “In my life I’ll keep flying.
வாழ்வில் நான் பறந்து கொண்டேயிருப்பேன்” “In my life I’ll keep flyingநான் பிறந்தேன் அரும் பெரும் சக்தியுடன்
I was born with great power
நான் பிறந்தேன் நற்பண்புகளுடன்
I was born with good qualities
நான் பிறந்தேன் கனவுடன், வளர்ந்தேன் நல்ல எண்ணங்களுடன்
I was born with a dream, Grew up with good ideas
நான் பிறந்தேன் உயர் எண்ணங்களை செயல்படுத்த
I was born to carry out high intentions
நான் பிறந்தேன் ஆராய்ச்சி உள்ளத்துடன்
I was born with research mind
நான் பிறந்தேன் ஆகாய உச்சியில் பறக்க
I was born to fly on the top of the sky
நான் பூமியில் ஒருபோதும் தவழ மாட்டேன்
I will never crawl on the earth
தவழவே மாட்டேன், ஆகாய உச்சிதான் என் இலட்சியம்
Never ever crawl, sky top is my ambition
பறப்பேன், பறப்பேன், வாழ்வில் பறந்து கொண்டேயிருப்பேன்
Fly, fly, I’ll keep flying in life
In his long, inspirational talk to students, He suggested 10 good qualities for youth, which is a must to excel in life and build a prosperous nation. The 10 good qualities are:
1. Be truthful and honest
2. Be duty conscious, disciplined and have self restraint
3. Respect others, praise them for their good work, celebrate their success
4. Be patient
5. Be self confident
6. Develop your communications and interpersonal skills
7. Work as teams
8. Be a visionary leader
9. Let go of anger, laziness and selfishness
10. Do not think of what I’ll get, instead think of what i can give
He said teaching to develop these good qualities in both students and teachers should be an aim of the educational system in order to develop a good nation.
Finally, he read out an oath he developed for youth and asked the students to tell that with him and take the oath.
The oath for the students
1. I will have a goal and work hard to achieve that goal. I realize that small aim is a crime.
2. I will be a good member of my family, a good member of the society, a good member of the nation and a good member of the world.
3. I will work with integrity and succeed with integrity.
4. I will always try to save or better someone’s life. Wherever I am, a thought will always come to my mind. That is “What can I give?”
5. I will always protect and enhance the dignity of every human life.
6. I will always remember that “Let not my winged days, be spent in vain.”
7. I will always work for clean planet Earth and clean energy.
8. As a youth of the world, I will work and work with courage to achieve success in all my tasks and enjoy the success of others.
9. My National Flag flies in my heart and I will bring glory to my nation.
Hon, Kalam also donated a set of books to the college.
The Jaffna Hindu College was triple blessed, first with the visit of spiritual leader Swamji Vivehananda (ஆன்மீகவாதி) in the 19th century, then with the visit of Mahathma Gandhiji (அஹிம்சாவாதி) in the 20th century, and now with the visit of Scientist Abdul Kalam (அறிவியல்வாதி).